Raw Coconut Cake


Don't be turned off by the word "raw."  It's just nature's goodness, with no additives or preservatives.  It's also easy, quick to make and no baking involved! 



When I looked online for a raw coconut cake recipe, I found a couple ones that looked really good.  But I ended up making my own recipe for two reasons.  1. I wanted to use what I already had in the house-as few ingredients as possible.  2.  We were going to be taking it camping, so I wanted it to be easy to pack and survive the elements.  It's inspired by a raw pecan pie recipe and lots O' coconut!



What You Will Need:
Shredded Coconut
Coconut Oil
Coconut Milk
Almonds
Dates-Pitted
Goji Berries
Sea Salt
Raw Honey or Light Agave
Lemon
Blender


Let's Do This!
One thing I love about making raw goodies is I don't have to worry about measuring out every single thing.  I just eyeball it and put in however much/less we like of a certain food.  So, if you're a "measure it all out type", I'm sorry, I can't give exact measurements on this recipe.  But I'll try to come close!


First take the almonds and put them in a blender.  Chop them up until they are fine, almost like a cornmeal. (I used about 1 1/2 cup of almonds). Then also add to blender: a little bit of goji berries (about tbsp), 15 to 20 dates (the dates help it all stick together), pinch of sea salt, a big glob of raw honey or agave, and as much shredded coconut you want.  I put about 1 cup, maybe more.  Make it as coconutty as you want.  Blend well until there are no big chunks left.  Tip: Cutting up the dates in half has helped them chop better and faster in the blender.


Second find something to put your cake in and rub it with coconut oil.  Just a thin layer will do.  I used a glass pie dish.  Take out your "cake" mix from the blender and press down into the dish/pan.  Then take a bunch more shredded coconut and spread on top.  


Last is the topping/cream, whatever you want to call it.  I didn't make much of it.  Just enough to drizzle over the cake.  I wasn't sure how this part would turn out.  But it came out pretty good.  The topping ended up soaking into the cake and making it a tad moist with some extra flavor.  In the blender put about 1/2 cup of coconut milk.  I used coconut milk I bought from the store.  Next time I would like to make it with a Thai coconut.  I think it would have more flavor.  Take half of the lemon and squeeze the juice in the coconut milk.  Blend well.  Lightly drizzle enough to cover the whole cake.  Don't overdue it.  Let sit in the fridge for at least 30 mins.


We all thought it came out pretty tasty, hope you do too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up