Alternative To Shampoo

A while back a friend of mine told me that she hadn't washed her hair in weeks.  Huh?  But not to be grossed out because it was clean.  So, if you don't wash it, how is it clean?

Going 'Poo Free
After some thought and reading on the internet, I decided that we as a family would try it out.  It couldn't hurt anything, might not end up liking it, but we could always go back to shampoo.  And if it worked, it would be WAY cheaper than continuously buying shampoo and conditioners. 

And we are "hair care" people.  We use that lovely stuff called Biolage.  It can soften and untangle any hot mess.  I have two shampoo's I use, a regular one and one used once a week since I color my hair.  Then Kiley has her kids shampoo. And then there's all that haircare products-gel, mousse, hairspray and detangler.  So, the $$ adds up.

5 months ago we went 'Poo free.

I read online that a transition period would take place and could cause your scalp to become very oily.  "Shampoo cleans your hair, but it also strips it of all the healthy oil your body naturally produces. These oils protect your hair and keep it soft and strong."
Not having the shampoo strip your hair of it's natural oil could cause your scalp to go into oil overload, making up for lost time, I guess.

This wasn't the case for us.  I think because the same month we moved to Utah was the same month we went 'Poo free.  Moving from Texas climate to Mountain climate has caused our skin to dry out more than we are normally used to.  Especially during the winter.  My whole head dried out. Ok so, you don't use shampoo or conditioner now, then what are you using??


Baking Soda. What can't you used baking soda for these days!  That stuff is awesome.  I found using 1 tsp of baking soda to 1 cup of water works the best.  At first I used more baking soda to ensure my hair was getting clean, but it was too much.  Tip: Use hot water when mixing it with the baking soda.  It helps the two mix, if not then the baking soda will clump up.  Which isn't cool.

Apple Cider Vinegar.  This is conditioners substitute.  It helps detangle the hair and keep it soft. I take a bottle and fill half of it up with the vinegar and the other half with water.  That's it.


Both of these "recipes" can be tweeked. If your hair is becoming too dry, try using less baking soda.  If it's too oily, try using less vinegar or none at all.

I took a couple of hand pump bottles that we were done using to put our baking soda/vinegar concoction in.  I also use a funnel to make less of a mess.  I'll shake the bottles often to make sure it stays mixed.

Application. The idea is to put the baking soda & vinegar mix right onto your scalp and rub it in.  This is supposed to clean your scalp and allow it to release your natural body oil.  I found the hand pump bottles work best for getting the solutions right onto the scalp.


Pros 'Poo free:

Hair is WAY more manageable.  I no longer use mousse.  Still use hairspray, but that's about it.  And this was with long hair down my back and now with super short hair.  Either way, my hair is much easier to fix.

Soft and Clean.  I was worried my hair wouldn't feel soft anymore, but it still does! And smells good!

Can handle color treated hair.  I was concerned that the harshness of dye would be too much for 'Poo free and I would need to use shampoo and conditioner.  Nope.  It cleans out the dye and softens my hair right back up!  I also noticed that it keeps my hair color vibrant a couple weeks longer than usual.  Which means I color my hair less often.  And I colored using home kit color sets and going to a salon.

Cheaper.

Don't have to wash my hair as often.  Supposedly you can wean off baking soda and vinegar all together, relying only on water in the shower to remove dirt and oil.  I haven't come close to this. 

Working well for my husband and the kiddo.


The only con was a dryer scalp, but as I said before, I think the change in climate has something to do with it.  For instance, since moving here Kiley's skin is drying out so bad that we had to buy Eczema cream for her arms and shoulders.  We are keeping her lotioned up so it won't come back.


I realize this isn't for everyone and may not work out for most people. But it's worked well for us and I think we'll continue to use this method.   


That's me pictured on the left with the red hair.
Super long hair and 'Poo free.  Still clean, soft and manageable. 

Now that I have short hair, it's still the same, just faster to wash. 





Websites I learned about 'Poo Free:
Simple Mom-How To Clean Your Hair Without Shampoo
Wiki-No Poo






1 comments:

Tulip said...

Wow that is amazing. I would love to try it. Thanks for the info.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

up